Must be Awesome to have an Awesome Brother (Ahadith 1534 - 1539)


Bismillah.
Volume 3, Book 27, Number 11:
Narrated Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa):
We set out along with Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) shortly before the appearance of the new moon (crescent) of the month of Dhi-l-Hijja and he said to us, "Whoever wants to assume Ihram for Hajj may do so; and whoever wants to assume Ihram for 'Umra may do so. Hadn't I brought the Hadi (animal for sacrificing) (with me), I would have assumed Ihram for 'Umra." ('Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa) added,): So some of us assumed Ihram for 'Umra while the others for Hajj. I was amongst those who assumed Ihram for 'Umra. The day of 'Arafat approached and I was still menstruating. I complained to the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) (about that) and he said, "Abandon your 'Umra, undo and comb your hair, and assume Ihram for Hajj;." When it was the night of Hasba, he sent 'Abdur Rahman (radiallaahu `anhu) with me to At-Tan'im and I assumed Ihram for 'Umra (and performed it) in lieu of my missed 'Umra.

Volume 3, Book 27, Number 12:
Narrated 'Amr bin Aus:
Abdul Rahman bin Abu Bakr (radiallaahu `anhu) told me that the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) had ordered him to let 'Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa) ride behind him and to make he perform 'Umra from At-Tan'im.

Volume 3, Book 27, Number 13:
Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah (radiallaahu `anhu):
The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) and his companions assumed Ihram for Hajj and none except the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) and Talha (radiallaahu `anhu) had the Hadi with them. 'Ali (radiallaahu `anhu) had come from Yemen and he had the Hadi with him. He ('Ali (radiallaahu `anhu)) said, "I have assumed Ihram with an intention like that of Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) has assumed it." The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) ordered his companions to intend the Ihram with which they had come for 'Umra, to perform the Tawaf of the Ka'ba (and between Safa and Marwa), to get their hair cut short and then to finish their Ihram with the exception of those who had the Hadi with them. They asked, "Shall we go to Mina and the private organs of some of us are dribbling (if we finish Ihram and have sexual relations with our wives)?" The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) heard that and said, "Had I known what I know now, I would not have brought the Hadi. If I did not have the Hadi with me I would have finished my Ihram." 'Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa) got her menses and performed all the ceremonies (of Hajj) except the Tawaf . So when she became clean from her menses, and she had performed the Tawaf of the Ka'ba, she said, "O Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam)! You (people) are returning with both Hajj and 'Umra and I am returning only with Hajj!" So, he ordered 'Abdur Rahman bin Abu Bakr (radiallaahu `anhu) to go with her to At-Tan'im. Thus she performed 'Umra after the Hajj in the month of Dhi-l-Hijja. Suraqa bin Malik bin Ju'sham (radiallaahu `anhu) met the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) at Al-'Aqaba (Jamrat-ul 'Aqaba) while the latter was stoning it and said, "O Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam)! Is this permissible only for you?" The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) replied, "No, it is for ever (i.e. it is permissible for all Muslims to perform 'Umra before Hajj."

Volume 3, Book 27, Number 14:
Narrated 'Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa):
We set out with Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) shortly before the appearance of the new moon of Dhi-l-Hiija and he said, "Whoever wants to assume Ihram for 'Umra may do so, and whoever wants to assume Ihram for Hajj may do so. Had not I brought the Hadi with me, I would have assumed Ihram for 'Umra." Some of the people assumed Ihram for 'Umra while others for Hajj. I was amongst those who had assumed Ihram for 'Umra. I got my menses before entering Mecca, and was menstruating till the day of 'Arafat. I complained to Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) about it, he said, "Abandon your 'Umra, undo and comb your hair, and assume Ihram for Hajj." So, I did that accordingly. When it was the night of Hasba (day of departure from Mina), the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) sent 'Abdur Rahman (radiallaahu `anhu) with me to At-Tanim.
The sub-narrator adds: He ('AbdurRahman (radiallaahu `anhu)) let her ride behind him. And she assumed Ihram for 'Umra in lieu of the abandoned one. Aisha completed her Hajj and 'Umra, and no Hadi, Sadaqa (charity), or fasting was obligatory for her.

Volume 3, Book 27, Number 15:
Narrated Al-Aswad:
That 'Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa) said, "O Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam)! The people are returning after performing the two Nusuks (i.e. Hajj and 'Umra) but I am returning with one only?" He said, "Wait till you become clean from your menses and then go to At-Tan'im, assume Ihram (and after performing 'Umra) join us at such-and-such a place. But it (i.e. the reward if 'Umra) is according to your expenses or the hardship (which you will undergo while performing it)."

Volume 3, Book 27, Number 16:
Narrated 'Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa):
We set out assuming the Ihram for Hajj in the months of Hajj towards the sacred precincts of Hajj. We dismounted at Sarif and the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said to his companions, "Whoever has not got the Hadi with him and likes to make it as 'Umra, he should do it, but he who has got the Hadi with him should not do it." The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) and some of his wealthy companions had the Hadi with them, so they did not finish Ihram after performing the 'Umra. The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) came to me while I was weeping. He asked me the reason for it. I replied, "I have heard of what you have said to your companions and I cannot do the 'Umra." He asked me, "What is the matter with you?" I replied, "I am not praying." He said, "There is no harm in it as you are one of the daughters of Adam and the same is written for you as for others. So, you should perform Hajj and I hope that Allah will enable you to perform the 'Umra as well." So, I carried on till we departed from Mina and halted at Al-Mahassab. The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) called 'Abdur-Rahman (radiallaahu `anhu) and said, "Go out of the sanctuary with your sister and let her assume Ihram for 'Umra, and after both of you have finished the Tawaf I will be waiting for you at this place." We came back at mid-night and the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) asked us, "Have you finished?" I replied in the affirmative. He announced the departure and the people set out for the journey and some of them had performed the Tawaf of the Ka'ba before the morning prayer, and after that the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) set out for Medina.
This incident and rulings derived from it have been discussed before in Kitaab-ul-Hajj. See Changing Intention During Hajj and Hajj - Woman Problems to read more.
There's something that strikes me about this incident.. Whenever we comment on it, we discuss what happened to `Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa) and how she behaved [it was cute how she started crying in front of her husband..], how the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) reacted and how lenient and considerate he was. But there's one person we miss out. We probably don't think it important what he did, or we just don't see it.
Brothers, pay attention now.
You see how `Abdur Rahman (radiallaahu `anhu), brother of `Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa), behaved in this situation? Do you see how considerate he was towards his sister? He obeyed the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) readily, without a question, and took his sister for her `Umrah. And he didn't even have to perform it himself. He could have easily said 'why should I waste my time? Can't she just skip it or something?'. Isn't that how brothers usually react? (No offence!)
And don't forget this was the time of Hajj, when tens of thousands of people were in Makkah. And Makkah wasn't as expansive and comfortable as it is now. It had tough weather and terrain. The places for Tawaaf and Sa`ee didn't have marble floors as they do today. And as mentioned in the last Hadith above, they left sometime during the day and returned at mid-night. All in all, it wasn't easy. Not for `Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa) and not for her brother. But they showed remarkable patience. And it's their examples we should follow when faced with such situations. Allah be pleased with them.
This reminds me of my first `Umrah back in 2011. I was caught up in almost a similar situation, and my dad had to take me for a special `Umrah. He was so considerate Alhamdulillah, didn't say a word. May Allah reward him immensely. :)

Disqus Shortname

designcart