Continual Fasting: Al-Wisaal (Ahadith 1677 - 1683)

Bismillah.
Volume 3, Book 31, Number 182:
Narrated Anas (radiallaahu `anhu):
The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said, "Do not practice Al-Wisal (fasting continuously without breaking one's fast in the evening or eating before the following dawn)." The people said to the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam), "But you practice Al-Wisal?" The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) replied, "I am not like any of you, for I am given food and drink (by Allah) during the night."

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 183:
Narrated Abdullah bin Umar (radiallaahu `anhu):
Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) forbade Al-Wisal. The people said (to him), "But you practice it?" He said, "I am not like you, for I am given food and drink by Allah."

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 184:
'Narrated Abu Sa'id (radiallaahu `anhu):
That he had heard the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) saying, "Do not fast continuously (practise Al-Wisal), and if you intend to lengthen your fast, then carry it on only till the Suhur (before the following dawn)." The people said to him, "But you practice (Al-Wisal), O Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam)!" He replied, "I am not similar to you, for during my sleep I have One Who makes me eat and drink."

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 185:
Narrated Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa):
Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) forbade Al-Wisal out of mercy to them. They said to him, "But you practice Al-Wisal?" He said, "I am not similar to you, for my Lord gives me food and drink. "

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 186:
Narrated Abu Huraira (radiallaahu `anhu):
Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) forbade Al-Wisal in fasting. So, one of the Muslims said to him, "But you practice Al-Wisal. O Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam)!" The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) replied, "Who amongst you is similar to me? I am given food and drink during my sleep by my Lord." So, when the people refused to stop Al-Wisal (fasting continuously), the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) fasted day and night continuously along with them for a day and then another day and then they saw the crescent moon (of the month of Shawwal). The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said to them (angrily), "If It (the crescent) had not appeared, I would have made you fast for a longer period." That was as a punishment for them when they refused to stop (practising Al-Wisal).

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 187:
Narrated Abu Huraira (radiallaahu `anhu):
The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said twice, "(O you people) Be cautious! Do not practice Al-Wisal." The people said to him, "But you practice Al-Wisal?" The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) replied, "My Lord gives me food and drink during my sleep. Do that much of deeds which is within your ability."

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 188:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri (radiallaahu `anhu):
Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said, "Do not fast continuously day and night (practise Al-Wisal) and if anyone of you intends to fast continuously day and night, he should continue till the Suhur time." They said, "But you practise Al-Wisal, O Allah's Apostle (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam)!" The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said, "I am not similar to you;. during my sleep I have One Who makes me eat and drink."
Fasting continually means that a person fasts for two or more days without breaking the fast, i.e., the fast continues all night and the person does not eat or drink. 
Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni, 4/436:
Continual fasting is makrooh according to the majority of scholars. 
Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’, 6/357: 
With regard to the ruling on continual fasting, it is makrooh, and there is no difference of opinion among us concerning that. But is it makrooh in the sense of being forbidden or makrooh in the sense of being disliked? There are two opinions concerning that … (the more correct of which) according to our companions and the apparent meaning of the statement of al-Shaafa’i is that it is makrooh in the sense of being forbidden
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/443: 
It appears that the ruling with regard to continual fasting is that it is haraam
And Allaah knows best.

Disqus Shortname

designcart