Marriage Fiqh:Is it permissible for me to marry when my father is still my breadwinner, or have I to maintain myself?

Q: I am a nineteen-year-old young man, and I am a first-year student of Shari`ah (Islamic law). I have no job, and my father maintains me. As you know, we live in an age of Fitnah (temptation). Is it permissible for me to marry as long as my father is maintaining me? I want to get married to keep myself chaste. Can I do this, or should I wait until I finish my studies? Is it obligatory for me to pay for my family on my own? Please advise, and many thanks to you. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Answer:
A: marriage is a Sunnah (commendable act) of the messengers. The Prophet (peace be upon him) has urged the youth to marry as soon as they can afford marriage, by saying: O young people! Whoever among you is able to marry should do so; and whoever is not able to marry is recommended to observe Sawm (Fast), for Sawm would limit his sexual urge. As your father will help you in the costs of
marriage, this is considered facilitation granted to you from Allah (Exalted be He). May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions! 

 Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta' [Saudi Arabia]
[Fatwaa Link]





Disqus Shortname

designcart