Tahajjud: Savior! (Hadith No. 921)


Assalamu`alaykum,
Bismillah.

Volume 2, Book 21, Number 222:
Narrated Salim's father:
In the life-time of the Prophet whosoever saw a dream would narrate it to Allah's Apostle. I had a wish of seeing a dream to narrate it to Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) I was a grown-up boy and used to sleep in the Mosque in the life-time of the Prophet. I saw in the dream that two angels caught hold of me and took me to the Fire which was built all round like a built well and had two poles in it and the people in it were known to me. I started saying, "I seek refuge with Allah from the Fire." Then I met another angel who told me not to be afraid. I narrated the dream to Hafsa who told it to Allah's Apostle. The Prophet said, "Abdullah is a good man. I wish he prayed Tahajjud." After that 'Abdullah (i.e. Salim's father) used to sleep but a little at night.

Abdullah ibn `Umar was a very pious man. Prophet (SAW) didn't find anything lacking in him in terms of Deen and `ibadaat etc. That he used to fulfill his fara'id in a good manner. But he did not pray Tahajjud. So he (SAW) said "Abdullah is a good man. I wish he prayed Tahajjud". Relate this to the dream he had, and we can easily draw the conclusion that Tahajjud will save a person from the Fire.
Allah-ul-Musta`aan!

This Hadith points out the excellence of `Abdullah ibn `Umar (RA) as well as the merits of Qiyam-ul-Layl (Tahajjud). It also tells us that it is permissible to praise someone in his presence if one is sure that he will not become proud due to that praise. Another aspect of this Hadith is that it induces one to wish for others' welfare and happiness.
Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying,
Every night there is a special time during which whatever a Muslim asks Allah of any good relating to this life or the Hereafter, it will be granted to him; and this moment comes every night.
[Muslim]
Ask Allah for protection against the Fire at that time, if nothing else. Allah talks about the "Slaves of the Compassionate" in the Qur'an:

وَالَّذِينَ يَبِيتُونَ لِرَبِّهِمْ سُجَّدًا وَقِيَامًا
وَالَّذِينَ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَا اصْرِفْ عَنَّا عَذَابَ جَهَنَّمَ ۖ إِنَّ عَذَابَهَا كَانَ غَرَامًا
إِنَّهَا سَاءَتْ مُسْتَقَرًّا وَمُقَامًا 

And those who spend the night in worship of their Lord, prostrate and standing.
And those who say: "Our Lord! Avert from us the torment of Hell. Verily its torment is ever an inseparable, permanent punishment."
Evil indeed it (Hell) is as an abode and as a place to rest in.
[Al-Furqan: 64-66] 
Read about the excellence of Tahajjud here.
Wassalam.

Disqus Shortname

designcart