Knowing People (Hadith No. 743)


Assalamu`alaykum,
Bismillah.

Volume 2, Book 13, Number 743:
Narrated 'Amr bin Taghlib:
Some property or something was brought to Allah's Apostle and he distributed it. He gave to some men and ignored the others. Later he got the news of his being admonished by those whom he had ignored. So he glorified and praised Allah and said, "Amma ba'du. By Allah, I may give to a man and ignore another, although the one whom I ignore is more beloved to me than the one whom I give. But I give to some people as I feel that they have no patience and no contentment in their hearts and I leave those who are patient and self-contented with the goodness and wealth which Allah has put into their hearts and 'Amr bin Taghlib is one of them." Amr added, By Allah! Those words of Allah's Apostle are more beloved to me than the best red camels.

SubhanAllah. I advise you to go through the narration once more to grasp the true meaning, because I might fall short of words while expressing my thoughts..

There are two kinds of people mentioned here:
  1. those who have no patience and no contentment in their hearts,
  2. those who are patient and self-contented with the goodness and wealth which Allah has put into their hearts.
Prophet (SAW) was a very wise man. He knew how to deal with different kinds of people. So he distributed the wealth/piece of land among the first category to incline them more towards Islam, and ignored the second category because he knew they'll be content and happy even if they're not given more of the worldly wealth. They'll continue to serve Islam willingly anyway..


And `Amr bin Taghlib. This man was praised by the Prophet (SAW), and he knew the true value of those words. So he said:
By Allah! Those words of Allah's Apostle are more beloved to me than the best red camels.
SubhanAllah. :)
Question: do we know how to deal with different kinds of people that we interact with daily, without offending them?

Wassalam.

Disqus Shortname

designcart